1But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
2When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.
3For I am the LORD your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
I give Egypt as your ransom,
Ethiopia and Seba in exchange for you.
4Because you are precious in my sight,
and honored, and I love you,
I give people in return for you,
nations in exchange for your life.
5Do not fear, for I am with you;
I will bring your offspring from the east,
and from the west I will gather you;
6I will say to the north, “Give them up,”
and to the south, “Do not withhold;
bring my sons from far away
and my daughters from the end of the earth —
7everyone who is called by my name,
whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed and made.”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- As you settle into your breath, open to your Creator.
- Breathe in the glory of Creator God.
- Breathe out any negative thoughts.
- Breathe in the creation of Creator God.
- Breathe out any destructive thoughts.
- Breathe in the touch of Creator God.
- Breathe out anything else keeping you from being touched and formed by God.
- Remain in this open place, a beloved, created one of God.
- Remain in the arms of God, a precious one in God’s sight.
- Notice how God is gathering God’s people together.
- How does God call you by name?
- How does God call your neighbor by name?
- How does God call the world by name?
- Who needs to hear Creator God call them by name?
- How is God calling you by name today?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, January 13, 2019, the Baptism of the Lord (Year C)
Luke 3:15-17, 21-22