31At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to him, “Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you.” 32He said to them, “Go and tell that fox for me, ‘Listen, I am casting out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish my work. 33Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of Jerusalem.’ 34Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! 35See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say, ‘Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.'”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- Bring your focus to your ministry today.
- Who or what is the fox that is trying to distract you from your ministry?
- How do you desire to turn away from this distraction to remain focused on your ministry to glorify God?
- What do you need from God to stay focused on this ministry?
- Embrace the focus. See the path.
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, March 17, 2019, the Second Sunday in Lent (Year C)
- Genesis 15:1-12, 17-18
- Psalm 27
- Philippians 3:17-4:1
- Luke 13:31-35
(c) 2019 The Rev. Dr. Lil Smith, DASD. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings. Please give credit to author.