1In the first book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus did and taught from the beginning 2until the day when he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen. 3After his suffering he presented himself alive to them by many convincing proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God. 4While staying with them, he ordered them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait there for the promise of the Father. “This,” he said, “is what you have heard from me; 5for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
6So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, is this the time when you will restore the kingdom to Israel?” 7He replied, “It is not for you to know the times or periods that the Father has set by his own authority. 8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” 9When he had said this, as they were watching, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight. 10While he was going and they were gazing up toward heaven, suddenly two men in white robes stood by them. 11They said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up toward heaven? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- As you inhale, hear the words, “Come Holy Spirit.”
- As you exhale, let go of anything that is keeping you from God. Hear the words, “See me.”
- Continue as you inhale: “Come Holy Spirit.”
- As you exhale (choose one per exhale): “Hear me”, “Be near me”, “Open me”, “Free me” (or choose your own).
- When you feel as much freedom as you can, allow Christ to rise above you.
- See Christ ascending to the Father.
- Notice the Holy Spirit grounding you, filling you, holding you in this place of freedom.
- Do you notice any tension? How can you let go of that tension?
- What do you need from Christ?
- How may this be fulfilled in the Holy Spirit?
- See no separation. See the fullness and expanse of space.
- Be held in this space.
- Is there a message for you from Christ?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Thursday, May 5, 2019, the Ascension of the Lord Year C
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2019 The Rev. Dr. Lil Smith, DASD.