22At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, 23and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. 24So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.” 25Jesus answered, “I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name testify to me; 26but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. 27My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. 29What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father’s hand. 30The Father and I are one.”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- Bring your attention to your hearing.
- How do you know God’s voice?
- What words do you hear as you follow God’s voice today?
- How do these words bring you love and peace?
- How do these words encourage you to follow the path to God?
- How do you feel safe and trust God on this path?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received. Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, May 12, the Fourth Sunday of Easter Year C
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2019 The Rev. Dr. Lil Smith, DASD.