1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “See, the home of God is among mortals. He will dwell with them as their God; they will be his peoples, and God himself will be with them; 4he will wipe every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; mourning and crying and pain will be no more, for the first things have passed away.”
5And the one who was seated on the throne said, “See, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this, for these words are trustworthy and true.” 6Then he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give water as a gift from the spring of the water of life.”
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- Bring your attention again to God making things new today.
- Name the places and people that God is making new today.
- Rest in this love and light.
- Bring your attention to your body, your interior space.
- Notice how you desire God to make things new in you today.
- Sit in awe and wonder.
- Sit in light and love.
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received. Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, May 19, the Fifth Sunday of Easter Year C
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2019 The Rev. Dr. Lil Smith, DASD.