Galatians 6:(1-6) 7-16
1My friends, if anyone is detected in a transgression, you who have received the Spirit should restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness. Take care that you yourselves are not tempted. 2Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3For if those who are nothing think they are something, they deceive themselves. 4All must test their own work; then that work, rather than their neighbor’s work, will become a cause for pride. 5For all must carry their own loads.
6Those who are taught the word must share in all good things with their teacher.
7Do not be deceived; God is not mocked, for you reap whatever you sow. 8If you sow to your own flesh, you will reap corruption from the flesh; but if you sow to the Spirit, you will reap eternal life from the Spirit. 9So let us not grow weary in doing what is right, for we will reap at harvest-time, if we do not give up. 10So then, whenever we have an opportunity, let us work for the good of all, and especially for those of the family of faith.
11See what large letters I make when I am writing in my own hand! 12It is those who want to make a good showing in the flesh that try to compel you to be circumcised-only that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13Even the circumcised do not themselves obey the law, but they want you to be circumcised so that they may boast about your flesh. 14May I never boast of anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15For neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is anything; but a new creation is everything! 16As for those who will follow this rule-peace be upon them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes focusing on the Breath.
- Bring your attention to a time you sowed the Spirit.
- What fruit of the Spirit resulted in this action? (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, self-control, etc.)
- Bring your attention to a time you sowed the flesh.
- What was the result?
- Being gentle with yourself, what are you learning about yourself that will help you turn to be freed from the world, turn toward God, and sow the Spirit?
- A new creation is everything!
- What is God’s message for you?
- Reply as you feel led in the box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, July 7, 2019, the Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year C
2 Kings 5:1-14
Galatians 6:(1-6) 7-16
Luke 10:1-11, 16-20
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings. (c) 2019 The Rev. Dr. Lil Smith, DASD