1God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:
2“How long will you judge unjustly
and show partiality to the wicked?
3Give justice to the weak and the orphan;
maintain the right of the lowly and the destitute.
4Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”
5They have neither knowledge nor understanding,
they walk around in darkness;
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
6I say, “You are gods,
children of the Most High, all of you;
7nevertheless, you shall die like mortals,
and fall like any prince.”
8Rise up, O God, judge the earth;
for all the nations belong to you!
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silence bringing your attention to the Breath.
- Bring your attention to a place in in you, in a neighbor or in the world where the orphan and widow are judged unjustly.
- With gentleness, be with the feelings and sensations that arise.
- Is there a word or an image that emerges?
- Embrace the word or image and let it speak to you.
- Where is justice for the weak and the orphan?
- Where are rights for the lowly and destitute?
- Where is knowledge and understanding for those walking in darkness?
- How can you be light to them?
- What is your message from God?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, July 14, 2019, the Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time Year C
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings. (c) 2019 The Rev. Dr. Lil Smith, DASD