We know that all our mothers bear us for pain and for death. O, what is that? But our true Mother Jesus, he alone bears us for joy and for endless life, blessed may he be.
-Julian of Norwich c.1342-c.1416
Revelations of Divine Love (ch.60)
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- In your silence, focus on this icon of the Theotokos: Mother Mary and Jesus.
- Notice her expression as she holds life.
- Consider the idea of pain and death being a gift of life.
- Where is God in this tension?
- How does this bring new life to death?
- How does this bring new lift to the Resurrection?
- How are you part of the Resurrection?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, March 25, 2012, the Fifth Sunday in Lent Year B
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD