Epiphany readings will be posted throughout the day: morning, midday, afternoon, and evening prayers.
1This is the reason that I Paul am a prisoner for Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles — 2for surely you have already heard of the commission of God’s grace that was given me for you, 3and how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I wrote above in a few words, 4a reading of which will enable you to perceive my understanding of the mystery of Christ. 5In former generations this mystery was not made known to humankind, as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit: 6that is, the Gentiles have become fellow heirs, members of the same body, and sharers in the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
7Of this gospel I have become a servant according to the gift of God’s grace that was given me by the working of his power. 8Although I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given to me to bring to the Gentiles the news of the boundless riches of Christ, 9and to make everyone see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things; 10so that through the church the wisdom of God in its rich variety might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. 11This was in accordance with the eternal purpose that he has carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12in whom we have access to God in boldness and confidence through faith in him.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying close attention to the deep breath.
- Remember a time when you were the recipient of the gift grace, the gift of the boundless riches of Christ.
- Name the Mystery you experienced.
- What feelings describe that Mystery?
- What words describe that Mystery?
- Where did you receive healing from the Mystery?
- How do you want to remember and savor the Mystery today?
- Where do you want to invite the Mystery to heal you again today?
- Allow the peace of Christ into this place that needs healing. Believe that Christ will heal you. Seek the peace that can only come from the healing touch of Christ.
- What is God’s message for you?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Friday, January 6, 2017, the Epiphany of the Lord (Year A)
Psalm 72:1-7, 10-14
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD