6To set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. 7For this reason the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law — indeed it cannot, 8and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
9But you are not in the flesh; you are in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. 10But if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies also through his Spirit that dwells in you.
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silence bringing your attention to the Breath.
- Inhale Spirit.
- Exhale flesh.
- Inhale life.
- Exhale hostility.
- Inhale peace.
- Exhale stubbornness.
- As you inhale, feel Breath bring life to every part of you.
- What is awakening in you?
- How does the Christ in you desire to respond?
- Become present to the peace within you.
- Allow your attention to move to the world around you.
- How does the Christ in you desire to respond to the world around you?
- Where do you encounter Christ in the world around you?
- As you examine the world around you, who needs to know the love of Christ today?
- How will you connect with the Christ in the other today?
- Invite the Spirit to accompany you and guide you.
- What is your message from God?
- Give thanks to God for this time in prayer and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, April 2, 2017, the Fifth Sunday in Lent (Year A)
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings (c) 2017 The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD