Read Exodus 20:1-21 if you wish (scroll down to Monday, September 26th)
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Spend 5 to 15 minutes in silent meditation, paying attention to the breath.
- Sit in prayer with this image for 3 to 5 minutes.
- What do you notice? What draws you? What repels you?
- Using your imagination, allow yourself to enter the image.
- Where are you?
- Who do you encounter?
- Where is God?
- What does the thick darkness represent for you?
- Sit in prayer with the thick darkness for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Where are you drawn?
- Is there a message for you from God in this image?
- Do you hear a call to action?
- Give thanks for God’s presence, the thick darkness where God is, and any new light you have received.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, October 2, 2011, the Twenty-seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time Year A
Exodus 20: 1-4, 7-9, 12-20
Psalm 19: 1-14
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author.
Permission to use in not-for-profit settings Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD