He who seeks not the cross of Christ,
seeks not the glory of Christ.
-John of the Cross
- Light a candle to remember Christ’s presence with you.
- Sit five to fifteen minutes in silent meditation paying attention to the deep breath.
- If you have a hand or pocket cross, pick it up and hold it. If not, imagine holding this one.
- Seek the glory of God in the cross.
- Notice the details in the cross: the grain of the wood, the imperfection of the clay, the range of color. What captures your attention in the cross?
- How does your life reflect the details you notice?
- Where in your life do you need to bring the details of the cross?
- What is God’s message for you?
- Focus again on the cross.
- Is there a call to action for you from God?
- Give thanks to God for this time at the cross and for any new insights you have received.
- Share as you feel led in the reply box below.
Revised Common Lectionary Readings for Sunday, March 4, 2012, the Second Sunday in Lent Year B
Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16
If you use these prayers in other groups, please give credit to author. Permission to use in not-for-profit settings The Rev. Lil Smith, M.Div., DASD